Sunday 25 November 2018

ONCE UPON A STAR

The moon is slowly disappearing behind the clouds this chilled evening but I can still discern a couple of stars here and there. I'm curious you know. How far do these stars go into the universe? How far are they really from earth, from us, but what a great effect they have on people.

As I sit there and stare more questions are coming to my mind. The tea that’s been resting on my bedside table is now cold but somehow I feel a warmth running through my body. A particularly bright star catches my eye and I wonder “Do the stars know they’re shinning?” Little bright spots spread in the wildness of the dark sky. It’s like poetry. Small words typed on a page lost between thousands of other words one can find in a book. But then aren’t we all a little bit lost? Forgotten on the top shelf that no-one is reaching for, until someone picks it up, the right one, to whom every word typed in the black ink will actually mean something. To whom every smudged word will touch this very special place hidden deep inside and instead of the end after each full stop will see the beginning that lays in the first capital letter.


I put my head down on the pillow and with the lights out I turn towards the window once more. The clouds look heavier now and they take up most of the space in the sky. The stars slowly fade behind them as if they were glow in the dark stickers on my bedroom ceiling that gradually get weaker while the night progresses. 

I can't fall asleep yet. My thoughts are too loud to silent even if I tried to.


Some people are scared of the dark, but me, I never have been. It’s something else that sends shivers down my spine. I fear the words of the night, the ones that come out of my mouth seconds before I fall asleep. This is where the truth lies, in the sentences I mumble built with words that my mind speaks before I give into the hug of Morpheus. 

Morpheus the god of dreams. He pulls the strings to all the things we dream about. If only I could speak to him, to confess my deepest desires. Living in a dream where everything is possible, where rules don’t apply and life flows. Just like a river flows until it meets the sea. Where the two blend together and there's no difference in the water anymore. I wish that could happen with dreams and reality. Can the two merge into the perfect combination? Where all the things I dream about you, become the things I live with you. 



Every time I close my eyes the logic goes numb. I have mastered living in a dream. We're face to face and I can now see my reflection in your sparkly brown eyes. I run my thumb on your lips and I feel your cupids bow. The breeze makes your hair move and I stop for a second as I realise I'm far too deep in the land of dreams. I've crossed the borders and the line separating the two worlds is now blurred. 


The stars, way far for me to touch and I can only gaze in astonishment. I raise my arm and with my finger I follow the bright flecks like a dot-to-dot puzzle in the sky. My constellation is taking form but a single dot missing leaves it incomplete. It's you. The missing part is you.  
Whether we're destined to only meet in dreams I don't know. If we can rewrite the stars I'm unsure about but here's my promise; I won't back out. To win you over I'll try, the brightest of the stars in my sky. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Shop My Wardrobe

Blogger Template Created by pipdig