Sunday 10 June 2018

IN THE NAME OF SELF-RESPECT


I always try to promote self-confidence and acceptance towards the others, but what happens when I can't accept my self?

The word unhappy can't really describe how I was feeling about my nose. Some will say it's the way I was born and that I should embrace it, some others will mention the Greek heritage and background but what I know is no matter the point of view I would still look in the mirror and see something that just didn't feel right. 

I have always been honest and loud about changing things people are not comfortable with as long as it's done for the right reasons. In the world of a "perfect image" that the social media project it's easy to feel insecure and that you don't fit in because let's be real, not everyone is blonde with blue eyes and a six pack, not all girls have the perfect pair of breasts and the whitest smile BUT THAT'S OKAY. 

It's so easy to fall in the loop of changing things just to be accepted by others that you'll end being miserable. If you do it for them you'll never be perfect, because no matter how much you change there will always be someone more “beautiful” as they scroll through their feed on the 'gram. Yes, I did use the quotation marks because I believe beauty is something so subjective. A guy I personally may find gorgeous, someone else may find not so attractive simply because we have different taste. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you wanna get bigger boobs or plumper lips go for it but make sure you're doing it for you.


Back to being self-conscious about my nose and from an early age I was considering a nose job but the high price tag and the idea of total anaesthesia were the two major factors that kept me from going for it. Not so long ago though, as I was watching my favourite blogger's vlog I discovered a procedure that she herself had gone under called the 3-point Rhino performed by Dr Ayad.

I did a little bit of research and I found out that this is basically a non-surgical nose job. Going through his Instagram and seeing the amazing results of other people I decided to give it a go and book an appointment. I called up my friends and we organised a day trip to Bicester as this is where the procedure would take place (also the fact that the clinic is close to Bicester village -aka shopping paradise- is a positive note too ha!) 

As we arrive at the clinic we were welcomed by Sarah and I was given a form to fill. There was no waiting involved, which in my case would make me nervous, and we were taken straight in to see the doctor. He welcomes my friends and me in the room and we chat about jobs and shopping before he goes on to explain what should I expect during and after the procedure answering all of my questions. 



The procedure
I won't keep it long and I'm just gonna say that it was not what I expected. We started with him marking my nose with the classic white pencil and then he moved on to inject the filler. Coming from someone that has to look away when I'm having my blood taken, I reassure you it was not uncomfortable or painful at all. I don't know whether it was because of the adrenaline going through my body or the light hands of Dr. Ayad but I felt nothing. All in all the procedure lasted 15 to 20 minutes with a few pinches focusing on the main three points across the nosal area, hence the name of the procedure and then it was time for me to see the results. 

Bear in mind, my two friends who were in the room all the time were so excited and supportive I can't thank them enough, so when he injected the tip of my nose and they both went "Wow" I thought no way they can see a difference already. Little did I know. 

As I am being handed the mirror and I look at my nose for the first time a smile spreads from ear to ear. I cannot believe that in 20 minutes the feature I hated the most on my face has completely changed. Do you know the feeling when a weight is lifted off your shoulders? That's how I felt after realising that from now on this is my new nose.

Just to make it clear, the point of this procedure is not to change the actual size of your nose as a surgery would do but to make it more symmetrical which in turn makes it appear smaller simply because it's in proportion with the rest of the face. What does change though is the shape, the drooping tip is now replaced by a lifted one and a straight bridge has taken the place of what used to be a hump.


Aftercare
I was instructed not to wear glasses for about 15 days but I didn't realy mind as I spend most of my time wearing contact lenses anyway. Leaving the clinic there was a mild swelling and redness which lasted for about two days and then progressively it got better. The day after the procedure I was back to work, with no bruising, no pain and noone noticing anything other than the slight redness. In about a week there was no sign that I have had something done and what I'm left with now is a straight nose. For the first time in my life I feel confident taking side profile pics and I can finally highlight my nose without exaggerating the bad shape of it. I mean if that's not a win then I don't know what is.


The sole purpose of this post is to inform people facing the same insecurity that nowadays there is an alternative to the surgical nose job. I know there will be a few disagreeing with changing the way we are but at the end of the day it's not about them, it's about you so do what will make you feel happy sweetie darlings.

Here's a link to Dr Ayad's website and Instagram for more before and afters and a big thank you to him for the amazing job. Cheers doc! 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Shop My Wardrobe

Blogger Template Created by pipdig